Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Clouds of color

Sorry for the delay in posting these pictures. I tried taking pictures with my point-and-shoot yesterday morning, but it just wasn't cutting it. When Branden got home, I had him take a shot at it with the real camera, and was worth the wait.

I dyed up about 2 oz of Lincoln that I had laying around, using the same color pattern as I used for the BFL spinning project. I've been wanting to do a comparison experiment ever since finishing that yarn, but just haven't gotten around to it. Now it's all dyed up, but my wheel is gone, so this project will be on the back burner for a while. Look for it early next year. Until then, look at the colors!

I didn't want to dye all of the fiber the same way, but I had only five dyes to work with. So, I split the last two batches into color groups; magenta/purple, and green/blue. Both worked beautifully with the black.

First, I dyed about 8 oz of BFL with the greens and blues:

I love these colors. You'd never tell it from my yarn and clothing choices in the past few years, but I am a greens and blues person. I've been dallying around with the reds and purples, but I see something like this and realize that these will always be my colors. Forest and sea, shadow and sky. Love it.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from dallying some more. This one's a little blurry, but the color is almost right. And oh! the color. This one named itself berry crush. Purples and reds, merging into black. Deep, dark, sumptuous. It's even better in person.

All in all, I think this was a good way to dye.