Thursday, December 27, 2007

Back

Sorry for neglecting you all this past week. Making up for a year of visiting in 6 days just doesn't leave much time for anything else, and I ended up needing my insomnia-given time for things like wrapping gifts and working on last-minute secret projects. If you're anything like me, you didn't have time to read blogs over the holiday anyway, and maybe you're thrilled that there aren't 6 more posts to read. Now that I'm home, I want to spend the rest of this week focusing on hobbies, so hopefully I will have some actual knitting content in the next couple of days. It's not often that I take time off, and I'm determined not to allow myself to start working during my vacation time again. I have so many lists of things to knit that it should be easy to fill up a week, and probably a whole year!

As far as trip knitting went, I only managed to get through Branden's socks (need to do the last inch of the ankle today), and the slipper socks. It appears that knitting and visiting my family don't go so well together. I'd get out the knitting and start working, but it just never seemed to get anywhere. So, it was a slow week for the needles, which was probably good for my hands.

I also have to comment on the fact that Seattle is dark in the winter. I guess I'm used to it; I'm not usually surprised by the lack of light outside. But after being in MA for a week and being woken up every morning by sun pouring in the windows, Seattle is horribly grey and cloudy. It was at least 7:30 before the sun came up this morning, and you can still barely tell that it's light out now, at 9:00. It's funny that I've never really noticed the dark before, but the contrast is just too huge to miss. I found myself wanting sunglasses all week in MA; the sun was out all the time, and it was blinding when reflected off of the snow. But now we are back to rain and darkness for a few more months. I guess the summer makes up for the winter, but today I'm having a hard time being optimistic about the Seattle greyness.